
As I mentioned in a previous post, I have pneumonia. I got diagnosed with it (again!) last Wednesday, along with Sinusitis. How fun for me. I went in there with Ansel because he had a bizarre rash that they worried was because of Amoxycillin he was taking (turned out just to be a viral rash, thank heavens) and because I was feeling like death warmed over. Sure enough, Pneumonia again (had it just before Thanksgiving too). I made sure the doctor knew that I was breastfeeding and was careful to ask again, later, if the antibiotic she was prescribing was okay for breastfeeding. She assured me it was, and I went ahead and picked up my prescription and went home.
Fast forward to Friday night, (a couple hours after the Patty Cake episode and with the Wood kids at our house) I get ready for bed and take my 2nd dose of the day of Doxycycline (my antibiotic). So far I had taken 5 doses. The doctor suggested I take them with food and so far I had been really good about taking it with food. That night, though, the food and the pills were spread out by 45 minutes, but I really didn't think much of it because the doctor said it wasn't a big deal if that happened.
Fast forward 3 hours. I am fast asleep, but having really strange dreams about food hurting my stomach. I keep eating, but every food I try (in my dream) hurts my stomach. The pain gets worse and worse and worse, until all of a sudden I wake up. And guess what. . . yes, my stomach is hurting terribly. I feel like someone is burning a hole in it and it is spasming wildly. I think, to myself, that I must not have been close enough to eating when I took the medicine and so it was hurting my stomach, so I go take two tums and a glass of milk. That usually works for Ibuprofen or prenatal pills. Instead of helping, things get worse, my stomach starts foaming. I start to panic a bit, and go look at the label on the medicine bottle. As I read, it just gets worse. There on the label it says "DO NOT take if breastfeeding. Stop immediately and consult a doctor". . . . . . What?!?! I had specifically asked the doctor if it was okay and she had said yes!
I get online and look up Doxycycline on drugs.com and read. It says that it goes through breast milk and affects the nursing child, in fact pregnant women and children under the age of eight are NOT to take it unless it is an anthrax infection. SHEEESHZ, this isn't looking good. But why? ? ??. . . . .A little further down it says that it permanently stains forming teeth a yellow gray brown. Oh no!! What about Kaelan?!!!! Now I am MAD!!! Hopefully I didn't take it long enough, only 2 1/2 days out of the 14, so it won't stain Kaelan's teeth or harm him. Nothing about food versus nonfood. It says either is fine. There is no reaction listed like the one I am having. Great.
I call the advice nurse. Now, remember this is about 3am in the morning. The nurse on the phone says it is probably heart burn. . . . I don't think so, it doesn't feel like any heartburn I've ever had. He does say that it is weird that milk and tums didn't help. But, I take his advice and stay upright until it goes away. Only one problem. It doesn't go away. I am writhing in this horrible burning, clenching pain for 3 hours until exhaustion finally hits and I slip off into a fretful sleep. I wake up around 8am (2 hours later) still in considerable pain. Time to take action. Off I go to Urgent care. Meanwhile, Joe is at home with eight kids (our and the Wood's).
The doctor is very diligent, asks a million questions and comes up with a drug in toleration. I ask why it took so long to show up and he says that is normal. Basically it is like an allergic reaction in my stomach. He gives me a GI cocktail (he calls it) a mixture of Mylanta, barbiturates, and a nerve deadening medicine. It feels like snot in my mouth, foul. But at least I can't feel the clenching as badly. He marks off Doxycycline as a BIG no no for me in my medical chart. Now comes the hard part. I am to go on a clear liquids ONLY diet for 2 days, more- if it is still hurting by 2 days. I am also supposed to take it easy. Then I am to slowly progress to a BRAT diet (Bananas, rice, applesauce and toast) for a few days before resuming normal eating. "Wow", I say "That is a pretty big order, why?" Well, basically because it has damaged my stomach and it needs time to heal. "oh. Wow." I am stunned. He gives a prescription for peps id, which I am to take RELIGIOUSLY twice a day for two to three weeks, to help with the healing. Then, I am on my way home.
First thing I do, when I get home, is try a little apple juice (clear liquid - he said). My stomach rejects it violently. Water. . . . same thing. I am going to dehydrate quickly if my stomach keeps this up. He had said he was concerned that I would have a hard time staying hydrated, now I believe him. Over the course of the day the pain stays pretty constant, but I have energy, and unfortunately I feel hunger pains through it all, which actually make it worse. We go to the park with the kids (that helps keep my mind off of it). Aimee and Allen come over, THEY all have pizza and I am tortured with all the good smells. ME and my water on the couch. But, by the time I go to bed the pain is only there (noticeably) when I drink. Today has been much better. I am way beyond hungry though. Don't feel that kind of pain anymore, but anytime I try to lay on my side it feels like someone is trying to rip my stomach out. Hopefully by tomorrow I will be on my way to BRAT, and start taking my new antibiotic for my pneumonia. What I am really grumpy about, though, is the fact that I had to use all three of my sick days for my Healthy Living Challenge in one week. How fair is that?!?!?!?
Seriously though, of all the strange things that could happen? ?. . . . . .
6 comments:
OH my goodness. Things like this really make me distrust doctors adn pharmacists!! I am so sorry you've been so incredibly sick. And I would be grumpy too to have to use all 3 sick days in one week!! We have to stay in first place though! :)
I have been really bad about remembering to take a prenatal or multivitamin (since I should be while nursing and was reminded at Eli's last appointment... oops!), so I bought a bottle of multivitamins over the weekend and took the 3 that it recommended taking... but choked them down with a hearty helping of V8 - and felt SO sick to my stomach the rest of the night! I can only imagine how you were feeling with all of this... I hope it improves really soon!!
Oh man, I bet you did feel sick. Love those Prenatals! I take them everynight. I have to take my Thyroid hormone so it is easy to just add on the prenatal. Well, except for the last 3 nights. I haven't been able to even take my thyroid medicine, because of my stomach. I tried the BRAT diet today. Wasn't much fun. It HURTS whenever anything (even water) hits my stomach. I wonder how long this is going to last. this is the 3rd day after all. I hope it didn't do permanent damage!!
No kidding about the first place bit. I am pretty competitive (as you know ;)) So I am doing everything for the Healthy Living Challenge even though the doctor doesn't want me to! It wouldn't be fair to lose my standing because the doctor wouldn't let me do it!!!
I noticed that the prenatals you got me from Kaiser never made me sick - I could take them on an empty stomach, but the ones I got from Costco I HAVE to eat with food.
You poor girl. You have a lot of unique allergies!
How is Kaelan doing?
Yeah, I agree, the prenatals from Kaiser never made me sick either. And they aren't that big, which is really nice.
Well, this isn't technically an allegy, more like an intolerance. I have really boring allergies- all the common ones - dust mites,Cats, dogs and horses ( I guess animals in general) My sister Brindi is allergic to the metal nickel. She can't wear any cheap jewelry, only gold and silver!!! To me, that is a unique allergy!!
oops forgot to answer your question. Kaelan is okay, they did a blood draw on him today, which was aweful. The doctor called 2 hours ago and said some things were low, so she's ordering more tests (using the same blood, thank heavens!!!) Right now we are playing the waiting game!!
Post a Comment