The Wheel of Time series is my all-time favorite series. I am not exaggerating when I say this either. I have read the whole (incomplete) 11 book series 5 times. This is quite an accomplishment, (or extremely obsessive- how ever you want to look at it!) considering that each book is 700+ pages. I encourage one and all to give this series a try. It is fantastic.
Robert Jordan is an amazing author. He paints the story so vividly, that you feel like you are right there with the characters. The premise of the story is so creative, and yet familiar, that it gives you a new perspective on the real world. He has drawn from all the religions and cultures of the world to create a complex/three dimensional society that really helps bring the story to life. Another thing that I really like is that he writes women so well. The women in his book are all strong/smart/powerful and deep characters. VERY fun to "read" the women in his books.
There are so many main characters that I can't believe how many of the characters are so well developed in the book, and how well this complex story meshes together. It is so intelligently written, I often marvel at how one man could pull off such a intricate story weaving!! Every time I read this series I come away with something new I hadn't seen in it before. I never get tired of reading it. So, there is my secret weakness out in the open and also my plug for the books. READ THEM!!
The very exciting news is that the long awaited 12th book is due to be released this November.
Whether there would be a 12 book, or not, was up in the air when Robert Jordan passed away in September of 2007 of Cardiac amyloidosis. It was a very sad day for those of us who are big fans of Robert Jordan, the author, and great admirers of James Oliver Rigney Jr., the man. (That is Robert Jordan's real name). If you read his books, you can't help but admire the person behind it all. A great man, who will be sorely missed.
Robert Jordan 1948-2007
A few months after his death, TOR books announced that Brandon Sanderson would be completing The Wheel of Time series from the very detailed notes Robert Jordan left behind.Brandon Sanderson is my age and a member of the LDS church. He was at BYU with me (though I didn't know him) and currently does some teaching on and off there now too. I decided to read his books, so I could imagine his style in finishing up R.J.'s books. I was pretty impressed with his works, thus far. He is MY age, keep in mind.... What have I been doing with my life??? First Stephenie Meyer (who is also my age and LDS) makes millions with her Twilight Series, (see my Twilight post), then comes along Brandon Sanderson, also my age and making mucho bucks writing stories. I am definitely having self esteem issues right now, so bear with me.... :-)
It was just recently announced that there would be no way that Brandon Sanderson could possibly fit all of Jordan's ideas into one book (haha, no surprises there!!), so the decision was made to split the last book into three. The first of which is The Gathering Storm, due out this fall. (And each consecutive book following a year behind the preceding one.)
Yes 3 MORE books!! Awesome. Look out November, here I come!
My life is about to get even better..... I can't wait!!

1 comment:
Oh, another 3 years until I can start reading the series! I've held out this long, I really want to wait until it is *done* before I start reading, because I don't think I can commit to reading each book multiple times :-)
Post a Comment