Wednesday, April 15, 2009

I Need Attention!


Another Ansel post again. I apologize for posting so many about my little man, but he is such a huge resource for blogging material that I can't resist. This is really Remi's story, but it was so funny that I had to write about it.

Ansel is my touchy, feely, needy kid. AKA high maintenance. While sometimes it can become a HUGE annoyance, most of the time I love giving him the attention that he requires to survive. He is such a loving boy, and so generous. He is always looking out for others needs, in part, I believe, because he needs so much himself, and knows what it feels like. He is a gem. That said, I do not neglect him at all, on an average day I will spend about 5+ hours with Ansel sitting on me, touching me, worming on to my lap, hugging me, patting me, demanding back drawings and gardens on his arm. CONSTANT touch. Sometimes it can get to be too much, and I crack, "Ansel! Please, mom needs some personal space for just a few minutes. Why don't you......... for a little bit" This only lasts for a minute or so (when he is in a touchy mood, he cannot be dissuaded!), and then he is back with a vengeance. The problem is that most of the time it isn't a gentle hug or pat, it is more demanding than that. Usually it is a forceful climb under your arms, pushing things out of the way and hurting the target of his affections in the process. I do have to give it to him though. When he knows what he wants, he goes for it full gusto. We are working on turning demands into soft requests, but is definitely a work in progress. We have worked out a way to let me know he needs me (instead of the usual smack to the arm or his face in my face) now he just calls out "Mom, I need attention please!" Most of the time is works, other times he just likes the old way best. He is pretty bossy and sometimes his "requests" get a little out of hand and out there. (I have mentioned before how creative he is, verbally)
Here is an example how of he asks for things to be done...

Ansel: "MOM! You forgot to tie my shoes!" (Said in a curt, demanding, VERY loud voice.) (Keep in mind that mom doesn't know that his shoes have become untied, and thus could not have forgotten to tie his shoes)

Mom says "Can you ask in a nicer way please?"

Ansel "Okay......mom, you forgot to tie my shoes" (said in a more upbeat softer voice)

Mom: "Well, that wasn't exactly what I was aiming for. I need you to ASK nicely, remember to say please."

Ansel: "Mom, you forgot to tie my shoes Please."

I laugh, "Okay, how about this...... I didn't forget to tie your shoes, since you never asked me to I wouldn't have known they were untied. I need you to use different words and ASK not demand. Like so.....'mom can you tie my shoes please?' That is what I am looking for."

Ansel "Okay..... Mom, can you tie my shoes please?... Since you forgot!"
This is where mom loses it and starts laughing uncontrollably!

But, I regress, I am off subject. See?! So many stories to draw from! I could go off on tangents all day long! He is a walking humour mill.

Here is a photographic example of Ansel "needing" attention:See his hand in the bottom left hand corner? More pictures have been ruined this way. (and no, it doesn't help to take lots of pictures of him before hand, he wants to be in every one!)

The other day, I needed to run errands, so Remi graciously agreed to watch Ansel for me. All the other boys were at school, and Kaelan was with me. ( I was getting Easter gifts/candy) When I got home Remi had a great story to share.

I had forgotten to warn her of the "neediness" of her babysitting subject, beforehand, and it turns out that this was very crucial information to her. She needed to take a quick shower (we were leaving right when I got back). So, Remi informed Ansel that she would be taking said shower and would be right out. Ansel was playing so she hurried into the bathroom. About a minute into the shower there came a loud banging on the bathroom door. Now I have been a witness to this door banging, so I knew what she was talking about. This is no light "knocking", it is earth shaking, hinge ripping, door breaking banging. The frame even vibrates! It is all or nothing with Ansel. Remi calls out "Ansel, I am taking a shower right now, I can't come out right now." Silence.... a minute later KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK, Remi tries to ignore. But they keep coming. Finally she says "Ansel, PLEASE STOP!" He stops. Phew......

A couple minutes later she is done with the shower, and turns the water off. KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK, comes again. (I can just imagine Ansel sitting-or laying right outside the bathroom door, just waiting to pounce) "Ansel, I am not done yet" says Remi. Ansel pines.."But the water is off.........What are you doing?!?" Poor Remi, being stalked by a 5 year old while taking a shower! No privacy in our house, whatsoever! At this point Remi was thinking fast, she needs to get this kid off her back so she can get dressed in peace. What to do...... Well, as so often happens in desperate times, genius strikes. "Do me a favor," She says "Go run into the kitchen and tell me what time it is." 'Okay' is followed by the sound of little feet running down the hall. Peace for a few precious seconds, then... "It says 1- 2- 0 -4 , no 9" he informs her. "Okay, when the clock says 1 -2- 1- 2 then I will open the door" Remi says. Off he goes again, .. silence! Meanwhile Remi is rushing to at least get her clothes on before he comes back because she wants to be true to her word. In no time at all, here come the knocks. "Remi, it's 1- 2- 1 -2!!" He shouts excitedly. Remi has to see for herself,..... sure enough it is time. "It is 1- 2- 1- 2!!" she exclaims! "Yeah," Ansel sighs perplexedly "But sometimes it changes and sometimes it doesn't!!" This is said in earnest puzzlement! Remi cracked up! I can just imagine him sitting there, staring hard at the clock, watching and waiting for it to change. Then it does!! 1-2-1-0 And...... then in doesn't, for a long time,..... same, same, same, same and then it does again! 1 -2- 1 -1!! Pure mystery!

Ansel! You are SO cute! I love you.

2 comments:

Ryan and Brindi said...

seriously cami, i've told you before that ansel posts are my favorite. he is so funny. love that cute boy!

Sarah S said...

That is a really cute story!! What a sweet little boy! And funny too :)