Monday, October 27, 2008

Berry Picking

This fall, Ansel, Kaelan, and I went on a berry picking trip. This was our maiden voyage. We have lived in Oregon 3 years and have never gone on a berry picking trip, until now. I had no idea what I was getting myself into. We took a big shiny pot and loaded up the stroller to walk down the path that I go jogging every morning. On the way we saw this, very amazing beetle. I had to take its picture.
Unfortunately I only got two, very bad pictures of berry picking, and then my camera died. We had to be very careful picking the berries because the thorns were all over the place. They would snag our clothes and our skin, holding on tight. Ansel and I ended up with very scratched arms and hands. No, I didn't think to bring gloves, and yes, I WILL next time.


We filled up the large pot and hurried home to wash and eat them. We had a very hard time keeping Kaelan from eating them all before we were done washing them. He loves berries, I am amazed we even made it home with a full pot, considering how purple Kaelan's face was from all the berry juice he had squished on it from his exhuberance in eating berries.

Ansel did the washing

Kaelan did the watching and ...
Posted by Picasa

the sneaking of berries!!

The finished product!


Celebration and

enjoying the fruits of our labor! Literally!
Yummy, berries, cream and sugar!!
(Kaelan couldn't wait for that part, he just wanted them now!)

6 comments:

Aaron and Emily said...

That was your FIRST berry picking trip!?

I guess knowing we would be there such a short time, we were CONSTANTLY stocking up on the berries... And it helped that they grew right across the parking lot in our complex.

Sarah S said...

What cute pictures!! I think Eli would have been just like Kaelan, eating as many berries as possible.

I'm so jealous that berries are in abundance there! They look so delicious...

Sarah S said...

And cute frog blog background by the way!!

Cami Severson said...

Thanks! It is fun that they grow everywhere. I love that! It was our first "official" berry picking trip, in that we went out specifically for them. Normally we just eat as we go, or bring a handful home on a whim. We have never brought a pot or any sort of container before!!

Cami Severson said...

And, we usually just grabbed whatever was convenient, which was why I had no idea how truly nasty those bushes can be!!

Anonymous said...

How fun...and yummy! What a big boy Kaelan is. He looks so old. The berries look delicious. I miss having those right in my backyard!