If you have ever wondered what a home grown carrot looks like, then I have some pictures here to satisfy all of your curiosity! Sunday we went to Grandma and Grandpa Severson's (the boy's Great-grandparents) for dinner. They live on a small farm, 4 or 5 acres. The whole Severson clan was coming, but we showed up early to enjoy the Farm. This is the best time of the year to visit, because of all of the veggies just waiting to be picked. I walked along the rows of the garden, sampling this and that, trying to figure out what some of the plants were, and I stumbled upon a 20 foot long row of carrot plants. I decided that I wanted to give one a try, but not having any tools, I tried to just pull it up with the top. Bad Idea. The top just broke. So I got down on my hands and knees and started to try to dig it out with my fingers. One would wonder why I would not just take 1 minute to go find a shovel, but in the heat of the moment, all I could think about was getting that stubborn carrot out. I dug and clawed at the harden dirt around the green, digging down until I could feel the top of root. As I dug around it, I couldn't believe how big around it was! I cleared the dirt to get a look at the top of the root, it was 3 inches in circumference!! When I finally pulled the carrot out, my hands were as black as the dirt! My fingernails were caked with mud, but I didn't care. In my hands I held the biggest carrot I had ever seen. It was 3 inches around and 8 inches long! What a carrot!!
After I washed it (and myself) off, I had to take a picture.
Look at this baby!!!
After I washed it (and myself) off, I had to take a picture.
Look at this baby!!!
All the kids were so excited about that carrot, they all wanted their picture taken with it, and they all said it was "theirs". I told them......"No way! I dug this thing out of the earth with my bare hands! It is SOOO mine!!..... But, *sigh* I will share it with you!" We took it in and cut it up into pieces that each represented the size of a normal carrot. It was DELICIOUS!!! So sweet and crisp!
After the dinner, Grandpa went out and dug a bucket full for me, because I exclaimed so, over that giant carrot! I got to take them all home!!
Here they are. Don't they make a great display!!

1 comment:
YUM!! Those carrots look TONS better than what we get at the grocery store.
Post a Comment