(Levi got negative publicity a few posts back, so I figured I had better make up for it with a more positive Levi post today.)
Yesterday, was a crazy busy day. I spent three hours at the doctor's office because Ansel's pneumonia had come back with a vengeance, and he was really struggling to breathe. Kaelan was a real little stinker the entire time, running around, kicking things, screaming and hitting Ansel. (It was exhausting!!) He was really tired and getting two new teeth, so I guess I won't be too hard on him. This was on top of all the other regular day-to-day stuff going on, piano, homework, reading lessons, art lessons, and taking care of a sick boy. I also was bringing dinner to a new mommy in the ward that night so there was a bunch of prep for that going on as well. At about 4:30pm I started to get panicked that I wasn't going to be able to get it all done before it was time to take the meal over to Juliette. I had really wanted to make peanut butter cookies to go along with the meal, but now it was looking like it wasn't going to happen. Then, I had an idea. Levi LOVES peanut butter cookies, they aren't too difficult to make, maybe he could make them for me!
When I presented this option to Levi he jumped at the chance, he was SO excited. This was the first time ever, he was going to make something complicated (from start to finish) all by himself. He was up for the challenge. I gave him the recipe book and said "You need to double the recipe, so you will be using your math skills, Go for it!". He immediately took off, finding ingredients, getting the measuring cups/spoons and figuring out what the correct amount would be for each ingredient. It was so fun to watch him work. Boy, did the kitchen get messy though! Flour, sugar, baking powder all over the floor and countertop. He kept apologizing for the mess. It just made me smile!
There was only one near catastrophe. Fortunately I caught it before it had gone too far. He had accidently read 1 cup instead of 1 teaspoon of Baking powder and had dumped 1/2 cup (so far) of it into the bowl and then said "mom I don't think that there will be enough baking powder". That perked my ears up in a hurry! We were able to get it all back out (except the necessary 1 tsp) and continue on with no damage done! I was so glad he had so neatly dumped it into the mix. It was in a perfect pile, easy to remove, for the most part.
The cookie dough done, he started making balls, rolling them in sugar, and using a fork to make the crisscross marks in the dough. He even put them in the oven and got them out! What a super chef!! When the first batch came out, he had another ready to put in. Levi was the first to taste his handiwork, and a big smile crept over his face. "They are delicious mom!!" he exclaimed. Ahhh..... the satisfaction of a job well done. ( They were good! I ate a couple myself!) When I took the dinner over, I made sure to tell them that my 10 year old made the cookies for them!
Here is Levi, in the process of making his cookies (well at least the last part.... I was too busy during the actual making part, these pictures are taken after I got home from delivering the dinner):
Probably his favorite part, making the cross hatches:
When I presented this option to Levi he jumped at the chance, he was SO excited. This was the first time ever, he was going to make something complicated (from start to finish) all by himself. He was up for the challenge. I gave him the recipe book and said "You need to double the recipe, so you will be using your math skills, Go for it!". He immediately took off, finding ingredients, getting the measuring cups/spoons and figuring out what the correct amount would be for each ingredient. It was so fun to watch him work. Boy, did the kitchen get messy though! Flour, sugar, baking powder all over the floor and countertop. He kept apologizing for the mess. It just made me smile!
There was only one near catastrophe. Fortunately I caught it before it had gone too far. He had accidently read 1 cup instead of 1 teaspoon of Baking powder and had dumped 1/2 cup (so far) of it into the bowl and then said "mom I don't think that there will be enough baking powder". That perked my ears up in a hurry! We were able to get it all back out (except the necessary 1 tsp) and continue on with no damage done! I was so glad he had so neatly dumped it into the mix. It was in a perfect pile, easy to remove, for the most part.
The cookie dough done, he started making balls, rolling them in sugar, and using a fork to make the crisscross marks in the dough. He even put them in the oven and got them out! What a super chef!! When the first batch came out, he had another ready to put in. Levi was the first to taste his handiwork, and a big smile crept over his face. "They are delicious mom!!" he exclaimed. Ahhh..... the satisfaction of a job well done. ( They were good! I ate a couple myself!) When I took the dinner over, I made sure to tell them that my 10 year old made the cookies for them!
Here is Levi, in the process of making his cookies (well at least the last part.... I was too busy during the actual making part, these pictures are taken after I got home from delivering the dinner):
Levi rolling balls out of the dough:

Serious about his work:

What a sweet boy!

Sample of sugared dough balls:
Serious about his work:
What a sweet boy!
Sample of sugared dough balls:
Probably his favorite part, making the cross hatches:
1 comment:
Wow! What a great mom you are to let him tackle that project. How fun for Levi...doubling it and all. I am impressed. They sound yummy! Thanks for giving me a craving.
Post a Comment