Friday, March 20, 2009

An update on Calder's Science Fair experience


It is really great when you get to be surprised by seeing/reading something, done by your child, (all on his own), without your knowledge. It is a little gold nugget for the day. Something that makes you feel proud to be their parent.

Today, the Willamette World Newsletter (the primary school's newspaper), came home with a section on the District Science Fair participants. There were 10 from our school, Calder was the youngest student to attend. In this section were quotes from 5 of the students who participated. Right at the top was the statement made by Calder.

Here is his statement:

Calder Severson (1st grade): From doing my project I learned if you’re looking at a tree the leaves look green. Really they’re every other color except green. The color they can’t absorb bounces back to our eyes, so we see it. I liked the science fair because I got to see other projects like a cardboard that had a hand control with a magnet on the bottom to drive the car around on a track.

It was the longest, most well thought out statement of the bunch. So funny to see a huge paragraph said by a 1st grader, when a 4th grader statement was:
"I got to hold a turtle and a snake from OMSI. There was a bunch of stuff to look at and hold."

I asked him "Did you really say 'absorb'?" He looked at me funny and said "yes" like I was asking him if water was wet.

I was so amazed that he understood that whole concept enough to explain it to someone else. That portion of color theory is something taught in high school and college, and here is my little first grader explaining it to the school journalist. This was something that I had explained to him while we were doing his project, but I didn't expect it to stick or be "absorbed" to that extent!!

Good job, Calder! You ROCK!!!!

1 comment:

Sarah S said...

Great quote Calder!! He is so smart. I love when kids show that they were listening and understanding what you were telling them!