Wednesday, July 06, 2011

Spanish Fork Canyon

Spanish Fork Canyon is the best way, to and from Lake Powell, from my dad's house up in Hobble Creek Canyon. It was really fun to drive by Covered Bridge Canyon, where I grew up. I snapped a few photos as we passed and enjoyed telling stories to the boys about growing up there.

Coming back from Lake Powell: (the canyon's entrance is in the bottom right corner of the picture)
CBC


Straight on as we are passing it: (my house is off the left side of the photo and up a mile into the canyon)



This is a better angle to see the canyon: (My house is just behind the closest mountain on the right and up a half a mile)
CBC 2


The view of Spanish Fork Canyon from the top before it bends:
CBC 3


The infamous mountain slide that wiped our bridge with a surge of water from the river, washed away the town of Thistle, and created a lake (which they eventually drained):
Thistle slide

This is what Levi was doing as we were passing all these cool sites:
(to his credit he would look up when I asked)




Levi, teaching grandma Donna how to play Fruit Ninja on the iPad:




The biggest surprise, to me, was the addition of a wind farm at the mouth of Spanish Fork Canyon. I am not surprised though, it is predictably windy EVERY night at the mouth of the Canyon:

windfarm at base of canyon

more windfarm photos

I love Covered Bridge Canyon, and miss it. It features prominently in my dreams from time to time. Recently I had a dream that we (Joe and I) bought my house I grew up in. I was so excited in my dream, and woke up weirdly disappointed that it wasn't true, even though I LOVE where I live now, and I love my house! It is so funny how dreams mess with your reality!

1 comment:

Aaron and Emily said...

Is it strange that I have never been to Lake Powell, but I have been to Covered Bridge? I remember Aaron telling me about Thistle as we drove past. Your canyon is SO beautiful. I dream about living in a place like that too.